Gentoo is used by 0.03% of sites
Gentoo is a Linux distribution known for its flexibility, customization, and performance. It follows a "rolling release" model and emphasizes user control and optimization. Gentoo provides a highly customizable environment where users can build and configure their Linux systems to meet their specific needs.
- Portage Package Manager: Gentoo utilizes the Portage package manager, which allows users to easily install, upgrade, and manage software packages. Portage uses source-based package management, providing extensive control over package compilation and customization.
- Source-based System: Gentoo follows a source-based approach to package installation. Users can compile packages from source code, allowing for customization, optimization, and fine-grained control over system dependencies and configurations.
- Customization and Optimization: Gentoo provides extensive customization options, allowing users to tailor their systems to their specific requirements. Users can optimize their installations for performance by configuring compilation flags, kernel options, and system parameters.
- USE Flags: Gentoo utilizes USE flags, which are compile-time options that enable or disable specific features or dependencies for packages. This fine-grained control over package features allows users to optimize their system and reduce unnecessary dependencies.
- Rolling Release Model: Gentoo follows a rolling release model, where updates and security patches are continuously integrated into the system. This allows users to have the latest software versions without the need for frequent full system upgrades.
- Community and Documentation: Gentoo has an active and supportive community of users and developers. The community provides documentation, forums, and resources to assist users in building, configuring, and troubleshooting their Gentoo systems.
- Portability and Hardware Support: Gentoo supports a wide range of hardware architectures, making it suitable for various devices and systems. It offers excellent hardware compatibility and provides the flexibility to optimize system configurations for specific hardware configurations.
- Security and Stability: Gentoo focuses on security and stability, providing regular security updates and allowing users to have fine-grained control over their system configurations. Users can choose the security features and configurations that best suit their needs.
Gentoo is a versatile Linux distribution that appeals to users who value customization, control, and performance. With its source-based package management, rolling release model, and extensive customization options, Gentoo empowers users to create highly optimized and tailored Linux systems.